Not long after Catholic Emancipation, The Parish of Sandyford was constituted by Archbishop Murray in 1829.
Fr. Patrick Smyth, who had served as a curate in the area, became Parish Priest of the union of the Sandyford and Glencullen Churches.
To mark the centenary of the Parish and with the increase in population, Archbishop Byrne blessed the church of Our Lady of the Wayside Kilternan in 1929. ‘The little wooden church’ is based on an Italian design.
In 1853 there were 2,554 people in the parish area; by 2006 there were 20,000 and by 2016 the population is set to double to 40,100.
September 2011 was greeted with a new Parish team and with it the launch of the Restore Our Pride Fund. It was established with a vision to restoring the three Churches in the Parish as well as reviving Christian Community and Worship. Many works in St. Mary’s have already been completed to correct issues with Sewage and Drainage and treatment of rotted doors and windows.
The interior of the Sacristy was renewed with much needed adaptations and upgrading to make it a more functional and orderly. The Sanctuary of St. Mary’s Church was redone and a new marble stone in the Altar steps inserted with the inscription ‘In Domino Confido’ (In God We Trust) The entire inside of the Church was freshened up with cleaning and new paint and work is currently being finished to create a whole new Parish Office. This will be a much needed resource for all those in the area since the Parish is one of the busiest in Dublin.
You also may have noticed the gardens are benefiting from a much needed make over and now taking shape with their natural beauty enhanced by the addition of colourful flowers, rose bushes, dahlias and other plants.
Exit 13 off the M50 and follow the signs for Sandyford Village. St.Mary’s Church is directly across the road from “Colemans” shop and Sandyford park estate. Click on ‘Sandyford Village’ link to see google map and directions.
St. Mary’s Mass Times
Saturday Vigil 6 p.m.
Sunday 9:00 a.m., 11:00 am, and 6 pm
Weekdays 10 a.m.
Holy Days : See Parish Bulletin
SACRAMENT OF RECONCILIATION (CONFESSION) by request